Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Golden Mile

Golden Mile Hawker Centre (Oct 2008)

Golden Mile has always been famous, especially among those army guys who frequents there to get cheap bargains and steals for green green stuffs. It's also famous for being a passport making place as it's situated near Lavender MRT as well.

A walk of about 15 minutes from the MRT station brings you to this 2 storeys hawker centre filled with many famous stalls selling local delights. However, this time round we went to try the more "exotic" hawker fare which are pretty famous.

Surprisingly, the famous ice-cream and pasta stalls are located next to each other, plus, the famous ah balling stall is just opposite them. The only stall that's much further (but yet still on the same level) is ROC pizza.



3 flavours for $3.80! Where to find such cheap gelato right? Yet, don't be mistaken that the price compensated the taste because these 3 flavours which we've tried is seriously highly recommended! (4.25/5)!
Black sesame is a must try! It seriously tastes like the real traditional black sesame paste.
The other 2 flavours that are really worth the try are peanut and hazelnut chocolate. I was given a sample of the milk tea flavoured ice cream but the taste wasn't as strong as those real milk tea.
The only fault that I can find with this ice cream is that it melts really, and I mean really really fast. What to expect in a non-air conditioned place right? However, at least that makes you savour the ice cream before it quickly melts away.


Another must try if you're at golden mile is the Belgium Waffles from Sweet Stone Parad Ice. The waffles here are also one of the best I've tasted (a standard which I can never achieved in years I think.)
You can either only order the waffles alone, which cost $5 for 3, (If my memory doesn't fail me) or it comes with authentic Belgium chocolate dips (alone, or with a platter of fruits and served with ice cream)


This was the fondue set. Usually they'll serve the chocolate over a lighted candle, however we were a little too late and the shop was already closing, so that they had to served us in disposable utensils=( Quite a pity though.


Also, if you are a fan of really thin crust made-on-the-spot type of pizzas, ROC pizza is just for you!=)At a cost of just $6, the serving is enough for 2 to share=)
What I've ordered was mushroom with ham (all time favourite!) and the you could really taste the freshness of the pizza since it's baked upon order!
What was a little disappointing was the crust at the sides, which was really too crispy for me and I could really taste the chao ta (burnt) dough. I skipped the sides of the pizza and I'll give it a 4/5! ^^




Cabonara was our next order (which disappointed me because they forgot to add the egg in.) from the stall next to the eyes scream (ice cream!).
Serving was pretty little which I doubt it could fill a guy's tummy. Yet the taste (without the egg) was really good! *Imagine if there was egg..... it would be perfect!*
It cost us $5, which I won't mind paying because other places would sell pasta at MUCH higher prices.
Verdict? 3.75/5 without egg yolk.


Eating after eating certainly makes us really full but we just can't give the ah balling stall a miss because where else (except chinatown food street which is a franchise) sells ah ballings at $1.50 for 4? Plus, there were many flavous to choose from- red bean, peanut, black sesame, green tea (personally I'm not a fan of green tea) and yam. Soups available were peanut soup, ginger soup and almond milk.
Anyway, the tang yuan(s) here were SUPER kissable! You can try kissing it the next time you order. It was rich with the fillings but yet the skin was smooth, soft but strong enough to hold the fillings well!
4.5/5 for the tang yuans!=)
However, the peanut soup wasn't as thick as I expected, but I love chewing on those really soft peanuts. 3.5/5 for the soup=)


No comments: