Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Max Brenners

Max Brenners (July 2008)

Here am I introducing a nice little shop over at Esplanade where it's famous for nothing but chocolates=)
Definitely a place to go for a small little chat with small groups of friends, though the space in the shop is pretty limited.
Warning, this is definitely not a place for anti chocolatey people because once you enter the shop, the smell of chocolates immediately diffuses right into your nostrils and sending a wave of shiok-ness down your spine, relaxing your body from all the hard day's work.

What does the menu offers you may ask, it ranges from hot chocolate drinks to cold ones, to desserts and chocolate fondues=) Not a place to settle your tummy for a decent meal. Perhaps this would be a perfect place to go after eating out at the nearby lau pat sat or Glutton's Bay which is famous for it's fried oyster omlette.

Personally I've went to this place twice, each ordering different items to satisfy my chocolate desires. Who says diamonds are a girl's best friend?

First thing on the menu that attracted my attention was the chocolate fondue for 2=)
2 pots of chocolates (WAY too little for a chocolate lover like me), very thick and definitely not the type that will make you sick even after drinking it. The chocolate gets wamed up pretty fast as well, maybe because it was too little=x There's this option of buying additional pot of chocolates and they come in 3 "flavous". White, milk and dark chocolate. I've yet to try those though, even though the couple sitting next to us seems to be enjoying the taste of it.


Comes with fresh (yes, not those preserved and frozen types) strawberries and bananas. The serving was a tad too little for 2 as compared to the one at Coffee Club.


Comes with marshmallows and most importantly, banana cakes! Never did I knew banana cakes blended so well with chocolates! Not to mention the fact that the banana cake is of the right moisture and texture. Not too hard, not too soft, and not too dry (which is very typical of banana cakes). The marshmallows given was pretty typical. Guess I'll switch the marshmallows for more cakes and fruits in future=)
This fondue deserves a 3.8/5 (drawback was mainly the quantity, not quality.)


This is my second trip over there, ordering mainly desserts.
Due to my failing memory, I really couldnt recall what is this dish called. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think this is a chocolate truffle. Serious apologies for that.
Yup, from the picture it looks ordinary, and yes, it tasted pretty ordinary as well. Though just like the previous chocolate fondue, the chocolate doesn't make you sick of it, which is a pretty good sign=) Warm chocolate sauce flows out of the 'truffle' as you sink your fork down this little sinful treat. Deserves about a (3.5/5)


While savouring the previous dish, I couldn't resist ordering waffles especially so when the table next to us were eating it!
Plus, the waflfes were cheaper than the previous dish we ordered!
To keep this short, the waffles were good! Really fantastic, just as crispy as I want it to be (since it's going to be served with ice cream). The raspberry sauce they gave was really WAY too sweet. Not to be accompanied with this already great tasting waffle. It'll be better if the small dish of raspberry could be changed to chocolate though (perhaps I would ask for that if I'm going back there in the future). Deserves a 4/5!


This was the drink out of the whole list of chocolate drinks we chose. Bad choice.
We ordered white chocolate with yoghurt (I think). Well, I guess this place is really famous for it's chocolate drinks so I guess it's better that you stick to ordering chocolate. It was our bad to order this because initially we didn't want to have a chocolate supercharge due to the upcoming desserts. It'll be bad for me to give this a rating so I shall skip that=)


Their cup is pretty unique. Plus, you savour the drink using the non-detachable metal straw provide (lets just hope they wash their untensils really cleanly ya?).


Overall, the ambience is just right for couples and a small group of friends to do some light catching up. It might be a little rude to occupy the seats too long especially so if there's a long queue waiting outside as the shop is still pretty small.

Decent chocolates served=)

Price -$10 for desserts (good to share with friends)
Quantity- Small stomachs and food samplers, it's a dessert shop!

No comments: